I seek to give parties to mediation certainty of cost from the outset and I do that by a flat fee.
Essentially, a standard day of mediation will cost no more than $6,500 plus GST and any disbursements. Please see my engagement download for full details, however the gist of my fee structure is as follows;
- In Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin and most provincial centres a day of mediation is NZ$6,500 plus GST
- In Auckland a day of mediation is NZ$7,000.00 plus GST (to reflect the longer day and the 4/5 hours travel involved)
Please contact me for outside New Zealand rates.
I wish to ensure an appropriate proportion of my practice remains pro bono mediation work and I undertake this at no fee or at a discounted fee in deserving cases, usually involving community issues. If your case is in this category or for any other matters that may call for a departure from my standard charge, please talk it through with me.
1. A mediation day consists of 12 hours – 3 hours allocated to intake process (including case administration and management, phone/email, pre-mediation telephone conference call, timetabling, preparing the mediation agreement and reading background documents) with up to 9 hours running time on the day of mediation. I do not count time travelling to/from the mediation (for instance Wellington/Auckland) as part of the mediation day.
2. Additional running time on the day over 9 hours will be billed at the rate of $550.00 per hour.
3. My standard fee for a half-day mediation is $4,750. A half-day consists of up to 5 hours with 1 hour allocated to pre-mediation matters as above and 4 hours on the day of the mediation. Generally, mediations outside of Wellington or Christchurch are not half days.
5. My fees is usually shared equally among the parties to the mediation.
6. I do not bill for routine follow up calls and there is never a charge any post mediation work (for instance where a matter does not settle on the day) without consultation with counsel.
7. Disbursements/Out of Pocket Expenses: My practice is a national one although I primarily work out of Wellington and Christchurch and I present myself as a ‘local mediator ’ in both those centres so I do not charge costs of travel (airfares, taxis, accommodation) for mediations in these two cities. Disbursements such as room hire/catering etc are to the parties in the normal way.
I am an advanced panel member of LEADR and I observe Leadr’s Ethical Standards